Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review: "Korg DS-10 Plus" for DS

It occurred to me while thinking of a subject for my next game review that I haven't considered an original game yet; both of the games I've covered so far are knockoffs. I also haven't yet reviewed a game for a modern system, nor have I considered a game for a handheld system (unless you count playing Breakout on my laptop in class as "handheld"). So, today I decided to shatter some glass ceilings and cover something slightly unusual: a commercially-released game (not a homebrew), created for a modern system, the Nintendo DS.


But wait!, you say, isn't this a blog about homemade games? Well... yes. But it's also about other homemade video-game related things, including music. And, the Korg DS-10 is such a fabulous tool for creating game-based synthesized compositions that it seems silly not to give it at least a nod.

The DS-10 is, ostensibly, based on the MS-10 synthesizer, a simple keyboard introduced in 1978 as a beginner's synthesizer and a learning tool for electronic music. The DS-10 inherits both of these purposes; it's an ideal learning tool, and the DS's touch-screen interface is perfect for twiddling, noodling, and just generally making irritating squeaky noises while in public. (One of my favorite pastimes!) Unlike the original, however, the DS-10 features a sequencer for composing songs, as well as drum sounds and a complex effects matrix. Thanks to the DS-10, it is entirely possible to compose an entire track on a Nintendo DS, and while the concept of composing a song on a handheld video game makes me scoff instinctively, the YouTube video demonstrations I've seen shut me up pretty quickly. I guess it really is the future...


My biggest complaint about the DS-10 is the lack of MIDI connectivity, which greatly reduces composition possibilites, as well as live performance capabilities. If it can happen on the Commodore 64, why not on the DS? Perhaps Nintendo could market a MIDI cable that connects to the link slot on the DS, enabling the machine to fully integrate into a digital music production environment. Until they do, however, the DS-10 remains a fun toy rather than a serious musical instrument. It packs a suprising amount of features, but it's simply too inflexible to be useful.

The Korg DS-10 should now be available in most video game stores. Visit the website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment